Terms and Conditions for data and information provided by the NERC or STFC through the Centre for Environmental Data Analysis (CEDA)
Exclusion of Liability
Changing circumstances may cause the STFC or NERC to have to change the information and contents of CEDA's pages at any time. Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of information presented, both STFC and NERC disclaim all responsibility for and accept no liability for any errors or losses caused by any inaccuracies in such information or the consequences of any person acting or refraining from acting or otherwise relying on such information.
Your use of information provided by STFC or NERC through the Centre for Environmental Data Analysis is at your own risk. Please read any warnings given about the limitations of the information.
Neither NERC nor STFC gives any warranty as to the quality or accuracy of the information or its suitability for any use. All implied conditions relating to the quality or suitability of the information, and all liabilities arising from the supply of the information (including any liability arising in negligence) are excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law.
Neither NERC nor STFC gives any warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of data or images in the form in which they are cached or downloaded to your computer, as they may be affected by on-line conditions over which NERC or STFC has no control.
Notes on Limitations
- Scientific observations are made according to the prevailing understanding of the subject at the time. The quality of such observations may be affected by subsequent advances in knowledge, improved methods of interpretation, and better access to sampling locations.
- Raw data may have been transcribed from analogue to digital format, or may have been acquired by means of automated measuring techniques. Although such processes are subjected to quality control to ensure reliability where possible, some raw data may have been processed without human intervention and may in consequence contain undetected errors.
- Detail clearly defined and accurately depicted on large-scale maps may be lost when small-scale maps are derived from them.
- Although samples and records are maintained with all reasonable care, there may be some deterioration in the long term.
- The most appropriate techniques for copying original records are used, but there may be some loss of detail and dimensional distortion when such records are copied.
- Data may be compiled from the disparate sources of information at STFC’s or NERC's disposal, including material donated to STFC or NERC by third parties, and may not have been subject to any verification or other quality control process.
- Data, information and related records which have been donated to STFC or NERC have been produced for a specific purpose, and that may affect the type and completeness of the data recorded and any interpretation. The nature and purpose of data collection, and the age of the resultant material may render it unsuitable for certain applications/uses. You must verify the suitability of the material for your intended usage.
- The data, information and related records supplied by STFC or NERC should not be taken as a substitute for specialist interpretations, professional advice and/or detailed site investigations. You must seek professional advice before making technical interpretations on the basis of the materials provided.
- If a report or other output is produced for you on the basis of data you have provided to STFC or NERC, or your own data input into a STFC or a NERC system, please do not rely on it as a source of information about other areas or features.”