Observation Collection Records
Original trac page
Each Observation Collection should describe a set of datasets held in the archive. These may include datasets used by other collections too.
- the publication of the dataset and the Observation Collection record should go hand-in-hand
- there is no longer a place to link to the archive or to set the apply for access link at this level - it is now down on the Dataset level
|Field ( bold = mandatory field )||Description||Checklist/*Controlled vocab explanations/ Notes||Y/N|
|Title||Short text title for the dataset collection.|| Do you understand the title?
Is the title brief and simple?
Does the title contain unexplained technical terms or acronyms?
Does the title describe the resource rather than the activity/project which produced it?
Is the title in sentence case?
Is the title in English?
Does the title contain non-standard characters (e.g. © ° ± ² ³ µ)?
|Abstract||Short text only entry that will be the first information that users will see about the text.|| Do you understand the abstract?
Is the abstract written in plain English?
Does the abstract describe the resource rather than an activity/project which produced it?
Do the first few sentences summarise the contents of the resource?
Does the abstract also explain 'Where', 'When', 'How', 'Why' and 'Who' (if appropriate)?
Does the abstract contain unexplained technical terms or acronyms?
Does the abstract contain non-standard characters (e.g. © ° ± ² ³ µ)?
|Image details||link to an image to be used as the logo|
|Publication State||There is a drop down box for the publication state of the data in the archive (and also the Observation Collection record). Options are|| * Old
* working - use this while preparing the record prior to dataset release
* published - dataset details are available to users, but the content of the dataset and/or metadata may still be changing
* Citable - this is ONLY to be used for dataset that are static and thus have a DOI assigned to them
|Data publication date||Date-Time of the data publication - i.e. moved publication status to "published" for the first time||should be set once and NOT changed. Not to be used for DOI date!|
|Observations||A filter and select option to choose which Observations form this collection. If the desired Observation doesn't exist then use the + button to start creating a new one (which is immediately added to the selection too)|
|Identifiers||Unless adding a DOI, or a new abbreviation, please leave these as given.||the moles2 url is to ensure that users who find an reference in a paper to a MOLES2 record using the URLs given then can confirm to themselves that they are on the equivalent MOLES3 page.|
|Parties|| A list of people/organisations (called collectively a "party") involved with the data creation or curation.
Select (or create) a named party from the list, select their role from the controlled vocabulary and, if more than one party carrying out that role, use the priority number to sequence them in this role.
| * Author - party who contributed to the dataset authoring
* CEDA Officer - internal CEDA person responsible for the record/resource in question
* Curator - party responsible for curating the content (data centre)
* Custodian - party responsible for maintaining the resource (data centre)
* Distributor - party responsible for distributing/providing access to the resource (data centre)
* Metadata Owner - party maintaining this metadata record (data centre)
* Point of Contact - default is the data centre, but may be used in due course for a named person from the author list too
* Publisher - organisation that published the data first (most of the time one of our datacentres, but could be external group where we are mirroring the data only)
|Notes||present and past news items particular to the record||latest news item will be at the top of the user view, with past items listed in the main body of the record|
|Online Resources|| Online link to relevant resource - e.g. documentation, WPS.
There are set categories that should be used.
Do NOT use: DMP, Download, Apply for Access - these are handled elsewhere.
| Do resource locators include titles which are concise, accurate accounts of the resource in question?
Do resource locators include descriptions which fully explain their purpose?
|Reviews||For carrying out metadata content reviews - not in proper operation just yet.||For the time being please refer all new records to Anabelle or Graham for a review before they are published. This is to ensure consistent quality checks are carries out|
|Migration Properties||All the old legacy content from the MOLES2 "Content" section is in here - split into the various div tags.||Please leave the "moles2citation" at present, but look to move other items into other parts of MOLES if possible - e.g. add items under the links section to the online resources section. Once migrated feel free to delete content|