Data Tools: preparation, visualisation
This page links to information about software utilities that are either provided by the BADC or are freely available from elsewhere. Please note that much of the available software is documented within the individual dataset documentation and software directories.
Software packages not described elsewhere on our website are listed below:
- Xconv/Convsh - for format conversion, simple display, grid interpolation and subsetting. Xconv/Convsh reads Met Office PP and UM formats, GRIB, NetCDF, GrADS and DRS.
- CDAT - Climate Data Analysis Tools for plotting, analysing and manipulating atmospheric science data. CDAT reads NetCDF, GRIB (using the GrADS/GRIB interface), HDF and PCMDI DRS format.
- GrADS - Grid Analysis and Display System for plotting, analysing and manipulating gridded data. GrADS reads GrADS binary format, NetCDF, GRIB (using the GrADS/GRIB interface) and HDF-SDS format.
- CEDA Web Processing Service (WPS) - A web tool of data preparation services (replacing the functionality of the Data Extractor (DX).
- 'Using IDL in Meteorology' - This 133 page guide written by NCAS-CMS is a good starting point to using IDL. It includes many example plots and tips on using IDL.